- He is the Father of lies. John 8:44
His nature is falsehood! He only speaks the truth in order to deceive.
- Therefore, his chief enemy is truth – he opposes God’s word. Genesis 3:1-5
- He casts doubt on God’s goodness. Genesis 3:1-5
He destroys the obedience of faith.
- He hinders missions strategy. 1 Thess. 2:18
He opposes the truth reaching and converting people.
- He distorts and prevents effective Gospel ministry. Acts 13:8-9
- He avoids inner need by removing external trouble. 1 John 3:12
- He uses the fear of death to hold men in bondage. Hebrews 2:15
The fear of death doesn’t lead them to God because it leads them to get as many kicks here as possible.
- He causes people to stumble over bad Christian attitudes. 2 Tim. 2:24-26
- He blinds the minds of unbelievers. 2 Cor. 4:4
- He exploits a lack of understanding. Mt. 13:19
- He suggests ways that don’t involve suffering. Mt. 16:23; Mt. 4:1-11
- He imitates religious roles. 2 Cor. 11:14-15; Mt.13:28,30; Rev. 2:9
- He misuses Scripture. Mt. 4:6
- He imitates signs and wonders. 2 Thess. 2:9; Mk. 13:22
- He offers exotic occult alternatives. Rev. 2:19-24
- He attacks faith. 1 Thess. 3:5; 2 Cor. 11:3
- He brings persecution. Rev. 2:9; 1 Pt. 5:8; Lk. 22:31
- He brings sickness. Job 1:11; 2:5; Lk. 13:16.
- He causes dissension over doctrine and causes rifts. Rom. 16:17-20
- He tempts saints with sexual allurements. 1 Cor. 7:5; 1 Tim. 5:15
- He takes advantage of unresolved anger. 2 Cor. 2:11; Eph. 4:27
- He promotes pride. 1 Tim. 3:6
We began with liar and end with pride. Connection: the truth is that God is God and we are not. It is humbling. The only way to rebel against the lowliness of creature hood is to be a liar. Therefore humility under God is the great devil resistance (James 4:6-7).